Chicago Map 1834 Poster
This reproduction is of James Wright's manuscript survey of Chicago in 1834. It was used in preparing one of the two earliest printed maps of the city, published in that year. Wright's map shows the city's familiar grid pattern, the cut in the sandbar that gave the Chicago River more direct access to Lake Michigan, Fort Dearborn just south and west of the cut (near the current Michigan Avenue Bridge), the North Side property of early Chicago settler John Kinzie, the "Public Square" that became the site for a succession of city halls (including the present one), and South Water Street (now Wacker Drive). The original drawing is now in the collection of the National Archives in Washington, D.C.Dimensions: 18"x 22" .